Friday, November 19, 2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

As a small child, and small means short and scrawny, I was somewhat of a nerd. At the time I was unaware my status on the social scale neared that of a single cell amoeba. Like the single cell amoeba I was fed upon by larger predators who were looking to increase their own status by preying upon the lessors of the hierarchy.
As I grew up, and up means tall and scrawny, I became aware of how the system works. Like all systems there are loopholes in which a smart cell can become a fierce predator. In the cell world we call these tiny predators viruses, in the people world we call them witty. Unable to defend myself with muscle, I attacked my opponents with words -- a few scathing remarks and the once mighty shrank back into the sea. We all develop some sort of protective skin to shield us from the terrors of life, be they bullies or antibodies, but how do we gain a sense of self-respect? Do we try to become the biggest fish in the sea by terrorizing those we can, or do we feed our intellect to impress the masses. Is respect something earned or taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment