Friday, October 1, 2010

More Please

I grew up in the 70's and 80's, and as a child of the decades of excess (excessive drug use, excessive hair), I became aware of the unquenchable need for more -- why have one pair of shoes when you can have several to match all your outfits? Then, as I grew older and gained responsibility, excess became a thing of the past, and being thrifty became my new mantra. I used to spend my weekends dining and dancing, now laundry and Letterman are more my style. Still, I crave a night out, a chance to slip into my skinny jeans and drink with friends from a bottle of wine I can neither pronounce nor afford. Instead, I sit at home literally dying of poordom wondering if all the excess is worth it. Is it better to have a good paying job you hate that allows you to spend fool heartedly, or a job you love but forces you to budget in a monthly movie date? Are a few moments of excess worth a week's worth of toil? Is there a happy medium, and if there is one, will we really be happy working an okay job for mediocre cash to have a so-so time, or will we always want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment