Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Velvet Rope

I've known my friend Tom for some eight years now in which time we have drifted in and out of each other's life. He was part of what I refer to as the "outer circle" of friends -- someone I genuinely liked but could live without. Then, unbeknownst to me, I referred to him as one of my three, no make that four, good friends. You know, the people you can count on to tell you you're right even if you're wrong. I don't know if it was a Freudian slip on my part or if he had, in deed, made that quantum leap from casual friend to sisters in arms. Was becoming a good friend like trying to get past the elusive velvet rope? Were there a set number of years a person must pay penance to be invited into the inner circle? What makes a once casual acquaintance a true friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment