Friday, September 10, 2010

Who Am I

In times of depression I tend to lock myself up at home and read, watch TV or listen to the words in my music selection. It's because of this that when I emerge from my seclusion I am ready to tackle the world and become an astronaut or a stable boy -- I even seek information on how to, where to and when to become the myriad of people I have decided is the new real me. Usually after a few weeks of watching Nova or reading Equestrian I have decided that perhaps being an astronaut or stable boy are not the best career choices. Eventually I stable-ize and the whole wicked process starts over again.
There was a time, before print media and electronic entertainment, when people were groomed from childhood to become responsible, self assured adults. Now we have the choice to be anything the mind can grasp. This lack of limits makes it impossible to define oneself. In times of depression or times of sanity how do we know who we are? Are we a combination of all the things we have tried to be, or are they just a warm up act for the real thing? When we are unsure of who we are, how do we find our identities?

No comments:

Post a Comment