Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fashionable Friends

I had dinner with a group of friends Friday night to celebrate Sarah's 32nd birthday. We were all dressed in flashy duds being in the prime of our lives and having a few more years ahead of us before we trade our fabulous fashions for frumpy frocks. We ate and laughed and talked of days gone by. As the night progressed and the bottles of wine dwindled, our group split into several small cliques, each discussing a "remember when." Talk of high school dances and who married whom abounded.
Eventually our table became one again in time to say good-bye and go our separate ways. As I watched each bunch leave I thought about how long we had been friends and how we had come to know one another. Some were by my side through buckteeth and bad perms, others only knew me as a professional writer, still, I counted them all as my equals. It's funny how a person picks up friends as they go. Some stay a lifetime while others drop out along the way. It's as if our friends are fashions -- there's the little black dress that is never out of style, and there's the the shoulder padded power suit that once served a purpose but later became relegated to the back of the closet. Why is it some acquaintances are there through the seasons and others fall short of forever? I wonder, is there only room in life for so many friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment