Saturday, June 26, 2010

Experiences

In an attempt to broaden my horizons I have recently taken to making lists of "10 Things to Do." These lists include items like, "Cross 10 Bridges I've Never Crossed Before," "Try 10 New Types of Cheese," "Watch 10 Movies Starring Audrey Hepburn." None of these items are particularly life altering, but they do force me to step outside my comfort zone and stretch myself just a bit.
This sounds easy enough, but like everything in my life I take take these challenges very seriously, so seriously in fact these simple changes became a job. Instead of picking up a smoked Gouda along with my other groceries, I made special trips to the store to get my lactose indulgence only to hurriedly eat the hunk and cross it off my list. It didn't take long for me to realize my minor life alterations were causing me great duress. So I asked myself, "Why am I doing this? Is my life richer and more exciting now that I can banter about Audrey and rave about ricotta? Or, am I simply turning into another poser trying to sound more sophisticated than I really am?" When it comes to life and its experiences, should we force ourselves to have new ones, or just cross those bridges when we get to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment