Saturday, June 26, 2010

Soundtracks

Most people spend their twenty's clubbing and bed hopping, I spent mine worrying about the state of the world and trying desperately hard to fix it. As one may imagine this caused a great amount of distress until, at the age of twenty-nine, I realized I couldn't fix the world's problems -- no one could. This freed my mine immeasurably which was fun for a while. I crammed ten year's worth of bumping and grinding into just a few, short, selfish years. After my brief run as a party hearty disco boy I felt empty. I'd dragged myself home at 2:00 in the morning still feeling the thumpa-thumpa one too many times to justify a life spent speaker dancing with strangers I cared nothing about. I wanted more.
I realized in my early thirty's that my life needed a new soundtrack -- one that included world music and club hits. With this in mind I asked a DJ friend how he managed to mix the vast variety of music available to him into one seamless song. He told me the answer was simple -- he found a common beat and threaded it through the mix. So, I searched my heart for my core beliefs and after a while I found them / thumpa-thumpa / now. . . can I seamlessly weave those beliefs into my entire life?

No comments:

Post a Comment