Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Creative Planning

Last Thursday I went shopping with Sarah and spent money I didn't have on things I didn't need. I justified this with the fact that the weekend was coming and I couldn't possibly live without a new outfit to greet it in, plus I got paid on Monday so if I wrote a bum check it surely wouldn't clear until I had funds available. Over the years I have gotten quite creative with ways to get what I want. It's all a matter of planning. If I want a new pair of shoes, I send my cable bill on time but conveniently forget to sign the check, they send it back to me and I return it with a signature and a sincere apology all before the grace period is up -- no harm no foul, everyone gets what they want.

Sometimes though, no matter how sly I think I am, or how much energy I spend in the planning stages, I get caught in my own web. For instance, when I try to pre-prepare an argument with my boyfriend. I map the whole conversation out in my head -- I'll say this then he'll say that then I'll really tell him off. Good in theory, not so good in practice. We can guesstimate certain things in life, like how long a check takes to get from A to B, but can we really plan for an unpredictable future. What if things aren't traveling alphabetically, but rather along some uncharted path even the cosmos isn't sure of? Just because you've creatively paid your dues, will the universe grace you with a desirable outcome, or will it just tell you off?

No comments:

Post a Comment