Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Burning Hearts

When I was a kid I dreamed I was a cowboy, an astronaut, a hairdresser. My friend Rob imagined himself a firefighter. We'd play together warped versions of "rescue" where he'd save a princess and I'd do her hair. As we grew older and our lives became more narrow, I abandoned my various dreams, while Rob went on to become a dashing fireman.
All was well, if not quite perfect, in our lives when Rob was involved in an accident. Though not fatal, he was injured extensively and unable to continue his tenure as a fireman. The thing is, Rob has and always will have the heart of a fireman. He now has a desk job with the department. He is still holding true to his dream. Me? I've wandered from place to place and left my dreams at every stop. Does this mean my heart isn't true? Is it possible to love more than one thing whole-heartedly? Some people dream of bright futures, others simply dream. Is it possible to do both?

No comments:

Post a Comment