Monday, August 9, 2010

Gimme, Gimme

Last weekend, after a grueling workweek, I came home to a brand new plasma TV. It was big, impressive and totally expensive. "But it was on sale," my boyfriend informed me -- as if I was supposed to get excited over the $200.00 savings on the $4,000.00 bill. "But we don't need it," I rationalized. "our TV is perfectly fine," This concept seemed foreign to him. Why settle for fine when you can have extraordinary?
After much debate we settled in front of our new TV for a night of silent viewing. Much to my chagrin, on my plasma, larger than life, was a certain nameless actress who had recently undergone much unnecessary plastic surgery. It seemed I was surrounded by a world hungry for the next best thing. My theory is, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" Why is it we are compelled to have something just because it exists? Can we be satisfied with a terrific TV, a fine face or a spectacular self? Does more mean better, or just more?

No comments:

Post a Comment