Thursday, August 19, 2010

"A" is for Age and Adultery

Once upon an English class I found myself oddly attracted to a man almost half my age; he was handsome and fun and seemed a more exciting version of myself -- what's more, he found me desirable. I'm not one who suffers from either low self-esteem or delusions of grandeur, I know exactly who I am, yet I still felt this young fella was out of my league. We met in college and bonded over Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. Not far into chapter two we began a harmless flirtation that blossomed into an intense, short lived affair. Every time we met we engaged in stimulating conversation that eventually led to a stimulating make-out session. All of this was quite exhilarating for my aging self, but like all good books, our fairy tale ended as we both knew it would.
As the memories of my rendezvous faded from scarlet to pink I began to wonder what attracted me to my playmate to begin with. I'm not one to pine after youth, nor do I have a particular "type" I lust after. There was just something about him that drove me a little bit crazy. Was it his good looks? Was it animalistic chemistry? Or was it something so complex and indescribable that not even science could explain? When it comes to laws of attraction, are there any rules? And if there are, what happens when you break them? Are you branded for life, or do you simply go on to the next chapter and hope for a better conclusion?

No comments:

Post a Comment