Saturday, August 14, 2010

What's Your Sign?

A friend of mine introduced me to a friend of hers we bumped into while shopping. Her name was Kari and she was a schoolteacher. Kari, I thought -- married, two kids, drives a small S.U.V. probably tan. I didn't hang around long enough to find out if Kari drove a tan S.U.V. or not, but I did realize we all subconsciously create an image for people based solely on their job titles. Dan, doctor -- tall, brown hair, early 40's, wife, girlfriend, golden retriever. Gina, executive -- thin, 5' 6" cropped hair, power suit, probably a lesbian. Romeo, artist -- I say no more, I don't have to. You've already filled in the blanks. But how much of what we assume is true? Do people become the parts they play? After all our work takes up more than 50% of our waking lives. Is reading people based on their occupation like reading your daily horoscope? Am I in my house of work?

No comments:

Post a Comment