Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Vice Grips

My friend Tom has what I would call a slight addiction problem. Nothing serious like crack or crank or any other horrible "C" drug, he is, however, prone to buying TV shows on DVD that he can't always afford. Is it really necessary to purchase the complete twenty-disk box set of Sex and the City just to get the previously unavailable bonus disk which probably features commentary from season six's dog groomer and camera B's out takes of New York City taxi drivers? I think not, Tom thinks otherwise.
It's not as if I live a vice free life. I have been known to harbor a secret stash of home decorating magazines and unopened books featuring the words "whole self" in the title In fact, if left to my own devices, I would forgo necessary heart surgery for lunch with my fabulous friends at fabulous restaurants and have fabulous conversations featuring the word "fabulous."
We all have vices of some sort or another. It may be clothes, or books, or 12-step programs, or something more dangerous and secretive. But how do we know when a vice has moved from a curious notion to an all-consuming entity? Is it safe to have a vice -- even a petty one -- if we know that at any given moment it could spiral out of control and leave us in an un-fabulous poor house? Do our vices have a vice grip on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment