Monday, July 5, 2010

All Aboard

While trying to find our way to the small, out of the way gallery where our friend Andrew was having his first opening, Sarah and I found ourselves lost. "Turn right here," she said. I disagreed and said we should turn right at the next light, she insisted the last right was the right, I insisted otherwise, so forward we drove until we found an arty looking coffee shop and decided it was close enough.
While downing a double espresso and munching on an overly dry scone I got to thinking about rights and lefts and rights and wrongs. Would Sarah's right have lead us to the gallery or to an old abandoned train yard? Perhaps my right would have been the correct choice, or maybe it would have lead to the same dead end. In relationships -- friends, family lovers -- how do you know which roads lead to happiness? Is there only one right, and if so, what happens if you miss it? Do you get another chance, or do you have to board the next train to Nowehereseville? Were Sarah and I both right, or do two rights make a wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment