Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tickets for Two

I have an insane ability to rationalize just about anything I want. Every week, Jodi and I go to the movies to stimulate our brains and keep us keen on what is going on in the world -- or so we tell ourselves. While at the theater, we eat a healthy diet of popcorn (grain), Raisonettes (dairy and fruit), Goobers (dairy and protein) and a large diet soda to flush it all down. Exercise consists of walking to and from the car, to and from the restroom and belly laughing at the improbability of happily ever after. That's body, mind and spirit taken care of in one trip to the movies. Some may say I am grasping at straws in my rationalizing but, hey, it's gotten me through the first thirty-plus years of life. Perhaps, someday reality will slap me on the thighs in the form of twenty pounds, perhaps not. Perhaps I will continue living life believing I am happy simply because I tell myself I am. How do we know where perception ends and truth begins? Do the two ever meet, or are they parallel lines in the same universe? Can rationalizing become reality?

1 comment:

  1. I think you are spending too much time rationilizing and not just enjoying the simple things like the smell of fresh buttered popcorn :)

    ReplyDelete