Thursday, July 29, 2010

Slip Sliding Away

Having slipped on the ice and bumped my rump, I entered the warm embrace of my house, bolted the door behind me and called Jodi to tell her of my horrible evening. Not only was I going to have a bruised tailbone caused by my own neglect, I was certain to be lectured by my editor to whose wife I let slip his exact whereabouts last Thursday evening between, "I'll be home late," and "I've got a meeting," neither of which involved the bar on 10th street. Those're the dangers of gossip I guess.
As I continued to prattle on about my day I became sidetracked by a news story about a young girl who had been injured when the airbag in her sports sedan deployed after she knocked over a No Parking sign. I got to thinking about all the hidden dangers in our everyday world where even the ground we walk on is unstable and safety devices turn bad. How is it most of us can roam about without a piano falling on our head, but still it must happen to someone? And if we child proof our homes, why do we still need emergency childcare facilities? How can we feel safe in an unsafe world?

No comments:

Post a Comment