Friday, July 2, 2010

You are Cordially Invited

My friend Darren has invited me to his third wedding in the eight short years I have known him. I don't meat to sound judgmental, after all I am on my third martini of the morning, but I don't know what kind of gift is appropriate to give to a man who is obviously going through a mid-wife crisis. They say you marry the first time for love and the second time for money. But what about the third? Has marriage developed into some sort of bad habit by then? Perhaps there are 12-step programs for people who are addicted to spending vast amounts of money in honor of the first day of the rest of their two years together.
In America the divorce rate is 50% and climbing higher each year. The traditional wedding vows clearly state, "Till death do us part," and as far as I recall, I have never attended one of Darren's funerals. In a fast paced world where problems are solved in thirty-minute TV segments and entire wars are reduced to blurbs in the news, have we lost the ability to focus? Are we incapable of separating fact from fiction, fantasy from reality, like from love? Has life become so easy we have lost interest in anything lasting? Is there such a thing as forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment