Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Shock TV

While lounging around the house the other day taking some much needed time off, I found myself busy flipping through channels, absorbing all there was to see and realizing there wasn't anything to see. Just the usual cadres of real life talk shows, court TV and info-mercials promising the impossible. With nothing else to do, I found myself enraptured by a married couple that each had a secret they felt inclined to reveal on national television. After thirty minutes of bickering and chair throwing I realized a family that plays together doesn't necessarily stay together if playing involves brothers, sisters and various prostitutes and drug dealers.
When I was a kid we watched cartoons and soap operas and everybody aired their dirty laundry in their own back yard. Times have changed, however, and tattoos are no longer taboo and anything can, apparently, be pierced. In a day and age where it is okay to tell the world your sexual preference, discuss religion and express political views, is there any subject left that cannot be discussed over a polite dinner? Can we push the envelope any farther and still gain Nelson Ratings? I wonder, is there anything left that can truly be described as "shocking?"

No comments:

Post a Comment