Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Piece of Cake

My friend Larry has had a checkered past to say the least. When we were kids he spent more time in detention than the remainder of the seventh grade class totaled, and as an adult has had more than his fair share of run-ins with the law. Still, I find him to be a decent human being -- I've just learned not to ask where my Christmas presents came from.
Larry has recently become involved with a woman he insists is the one and has asked her to marry him. This isn't the first time I've heard those words fall from his lips. Larry meets a woman, cleans up his act, asks her to be his wedded wife, then craves the life he once had where he is free to roam about and commit a crime or two at his leisure. He dumps his fiance, swipes a trinket and goes to bed with a smile. I suspect his current interest shall follow the aforementioned pattern of capture and release. Perhaps I am being too cynical. Is it possible Larry can have a wife and a life? Will having both cause too much strife? The situation is rife with possibilities. I wonder. . . is it possible to have your wedding cake and eat it too?

No comments:

Post a Comment