Thursday, July 8, 2010

It's a Wonderful Life

On a recent visit to New York City for a book signing tour, I found myself completely awe struck by the magnanimity of the world's biggest fruit. It seemed as though the rows of taxis went far beyond the horizon and into a wonderful place. I later found out, by mistake, that place was Queens and a queen in Queens isn't so wonderful.
As I took in the sights of NYC I was bumped into, trampled over, even urinated on, yet this did not deter me from making the rounds. I scouted the four stops on my itinerary before breaking for cappuccino al fresco. As I sat and watched the thousands of people passing me by on their way to business meetings, photo shoots, kinky sex parties, walks in the park and costume fittings I couldn't help but feel the anonymity among the masses. No one took notice of the person next to him, nor did he care to. I had to wonder if this was always the case. In a world of six billion people, what makes us special? Must we have a particular talent like money matters or kinky sex, or do we all have something to offer? Are we all understated George Baileys? Is it a wonderful life where we make bigger differences than we could possibly realize, or do we only make minor ripples in tiny ponds? Does it really matter as long as we enjoy the visit?

No comments:

Post a Comment