Tuesday, July 20, 2010

When I was Your Age

My high school years were fraught with fun and excitement; they had their fair share of disappointments as well. Things like the atrocious haircut and the more atrocious wardrobe that can best be described as regrettable continue to live on in pictures that will undoubtedly surface the moment I become famous. Since those carefree years I have come to know the meanings of words like responsibility, benefits package and designer clothes. Although I have become somewhat jaded over the years, I can't help but think there is still a youthful spirit hiding behind the bi-focals. After all, I still say, "Dude," on a regular basis and hang out in really groovy coffee shops. Do these things mask the fact that I am older, and I do know more than I once did? For instance, I'm now aware that 16 year olds don't always give the best advice, and that some things, no matter who says they aren't, are, in fact, illegal. If I knew then what I know now. . . I wouldn't have had any fun, which leads me to wonder -- is youth really wasted on the young or are they the only ones who know how to take advantage of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment