Friday, July 9, 2010

Seeing is Believing

I stood in line at the checkout counter thumbing through gossip magazines I would never purchase purely on principle alone. Then I picked up the latest issue of Vogue to look at since the lady in front of me was buying enough non-perishable food items to last for fifty years in an underground cave. Later that night I sat in front of the TV eating fat free popcorn and watching the edited for prime-time version of Titanic. During the commercial breaks I restored my snack supply and watched the tale ends of sex sells advertising almost believing that if I bought the right brand of jeans I would become irresistible.
When the movie was finally over I got to thinking about all the things I had seen over the past ten hours. Elvis was alive and well living under an assumed name in a trailer park in Indiana, Christi Turlington truly is flawless, 1,500 people died, but hey, two people fell in love, and did you know you can eat what you want and still lose weight? Between airbrushed magazines, digitally enhanced video and blatant advertisement, how do we know what to trust? If we can't believe what we see, can we believe what we feel? When feelings are based on what we think we know, how do we know what we know is true?

No comments:

Post a Comment