Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Loaded Question

The other morning Angelique and I had coffee and scones at our favorite java joint. Due to mass construction in the downtown area it became necessary for us to part six blocks away and trek uphill in the ninety-degree heat in order to enjoy our favorite caffeinated beverage. Sure we could have stopped at the two closer shops, but we were dedicated patrons and needed the nostalgia of "our" place.
While munching on pastries and discussing the ups and downs of relationships, Angelique nonchalantly asked me how emotionally attached I was to my sperm -- a loaded question to be sure. I told her I had no attachment what so ever and unloaded it all the time. Apparently she and her girlfriend were considering having a baby and thought it would be nice to have the donor be someone they knew and trusted, not to mention tall, skinny and possessing a great sense of style. I thought for a moment before giving her a definitive, "Maybe." I weighted the pros and cons in my head and came out even. I'd love to help friends in need, but a baby, even one I would have no legal right to, seemed like a lot of responsibility. This would be a living thing that was my own flesh and blood, and Angelique is a good friend who would make an excellent mother, but what if something were to happen to the baby? What if something happened between Angelique and me? Is blood thicker than coffee or is the law thicker than both? Would emotional attachment overrule common sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment