Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Who Stole My Happy

There was a time when a friendly game of Hide-N-Seek or a painfully bumpy ride down a Slip-N-Slide would cover my face with a smile -- of course those games are forbidden for grown-ups. If you don't believe me, try gathering a group of co-workers for a quick glide down a wet, yellow, plastic sheet and see how many takers you get.
As adults we tend to opt for thrilling games of Sudoku and tedious crossword puzzles. I still enjoy time with friends and the occasional trivia night, but the smiles don't come as easy as they once did. They require work and sometimes, after a long day on the job, I'm just not willing to put forth the effort. Yet I crave a full belly laugh -- the kind that leaves you snorting like a five year old. How did this come to be? Have I lost my youthful spark simply because I've aged, or is it hidden somewhere waiting form me to find it? When life gets bumpy and we're feeling as though time has slipped away, how do we find our happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment