Monday, July 26, 2010

Sweet Treats

I, as a health conscious aging adult, am a compulsive FDA label reader. Every time I go grocery shopping I have to build in time to scan and compare the health benefits of product "A" to product "B." Once I've weighed the pros and cons of each I happily place my wisely chosen food item into my cart, check it off my list and move about four feet down the aisle to repeat the procedure again. Over and over I do this until I have obtained every item on my list. It's grueling, but worth it -- I think.
This being said, I am a sweet treat freak. Cakes, pies, cookies and pastries of all shapes and sizes leave me salivating like Pavlov's dog upon hearing a tuning fork. To avoid avoiding my cookie cravings I simply purchase my pastries at the bakery where they don't list fat grams or calories. I figure if they're not printed in black and white, they must not exist. A pretty sweet deal I think. I'm aware that my little scheme is, in all likely hood, completely false, but I figure if I've been good all day -- in diet and in spirit -- then I deserve a treat. With all this justification flying about, I have to wonder, in life, is it really sweets to the sweet, or do we all get our just desserts? Will my goodness pay off, or will I wind up alone and fat with just a plate of crumbs, a salivating dog and a fork by my side?

No comments:

Post a Comment