Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hope

I used to hope I'd marry rich, then I hoped I'd win the lottery, now I hope I make it through the end of the day. It's a funny thing, hope. We say it all the time for frivolous reasons, but what does it really mean? Webster describes it as trust or reliance, to expect a desire to be fulfilled. I describe it as the insane belief that the impossible will miraculously and fortuitously become a reality. Unfortunately, I still haven't married wealthy or won the lottery and as for the rest. . . the day ain't over yet.
As I get older I put less faith in hope and more in perseverance. I run myself ragged trying to get that raise, achieve that goal, snag that man. Then when all is said and done, I drag myself home, heat up a Healthy Choice and hope tomorrow will be different. Should I continue to wait for the Hope Spirits to grant my wishes, or is that a waste of time? Should I continue to work myself silly or is that a waste of energy? I have to know, is there hope in hoping?

No comments:

Post a Comment