Friday, July 2, 2010

Bullfight

As a general rule I like to be told what to do. It's just easier; less thinking involved. Plus, if something goes drastically wrong I can always blame someone else. This isn't to say I like to be bullied around by a know-ti-all, but an authoritative figure to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
Recently I've been trying to take charge of my own life and boldly go where I've never gone before. The changes are minor, but I made them of my own free will. Things were going smoothly with my newly found freedom until I booked a trip to Mexico. Not wanting to spend my life savings on a four day get-a-way I opted to stay in a 3-star hotel and rent a car to drive myself around town rather than book any excursion with the overpriced concierge service my friends were using. This was all well and good until I got lost on my way to the bull fights where I was to meet my comrades for a day of margaritas and matadors. I found myself in a very seedy part of town I'm sure I had seen before on Dateline. Not wanting to become the latest victim in a Missing American scandal I dumped the car and hitched a taxi back to the hotel. $120.00 later I arrived safely in the hotel lobby where I quickly ordered a triple anything and put myself to bed. Six hours and four Tylenol later I awoke wondering what had gone wrong. How is it that changing our personality can be so difficult? Are we not the creators of our own destiny? And if we are, how can be grab it by the horns and not be impaled?

No comments:

Post a Comment